« GBCC 2012: The Reflection | Blog home

Last month, Professor Garrett appeared on Sky Business News to discuss a political topic, that is one of great commercial significance and as such, extremely interesting to a Business School student.

There is some concern within the international community that we might be witnessing the start of a new cold war, between the United States and China. Conflict has already manifested itself in the economic sphere. The prospect of a currency war, between the greenback and the Chinese Reminbi, has been a recurring news story in the global business press.

No doubt the United States has grown comfortable in a uni-polar world, and it is only natural that the meteoric rise of China should be greeted with some measure of trepidation. But as Professor Garrett pointed out on Sky Business News, this rivalry will also create opportunities, particularly for countries as well situated as Australia. What we are really witnessing, Professor Garrett observes, is the emergence of a G2 world, with the United States and China, dual cylinders in the engine driving the global economy. Financial crisis, and the emergence of the G2, has done much to shift the centre of economic gravity from the Atlantic to the Pacific, which offers particularly favourable prospects for Australia and for Business graduates.

At the University of Sydney Business School, I’ve witnessed students and academics welcome this disruption. Our university is proximate to the fastest growing markets in the world. Moreover, we as students are schooled in the innovative methods that has made business in the US such a roaring success. It is this balance between leveraging both China and the US which makes studying Commerce at this moment extremely intriguing.

This week, I will be travelling with forty of my peers to the University of California, Los Angeles, for six weeks over the U.S. summer vacation period. In many ways, California is a model for the entrepreneurial business environment countries like China and Australia are trying to build. I’m excited for what I believe will be an invaluable international experience in a prestigious university and with peers who are also eager to have a broad knowledge of the business environment in the US. On a lighter note, studying abroad is also a sensible trade-off, between a bleak Sydney winter and soaking up Californian sun!

I am confident that this initiative by the Business School will add an entirely new global dimension both to my studies and to my university experience. Through the insights into American business, culture and politics and the connections I will meet, studying at UCLA will do much to prepare me for commercial life in a G2 world.