« The devil's in the detail | Blog home | PARADISEC Open Day »

Thoughts from a student after surviving our Field Methods course.

The decision to take this unit of study came easily to me. Having had Field Methods recommended by fellow linguistic-loving students as one of the best linguistics classes EVER!!!! I was pretty much sold even before I knew the class was on offer. And as prior to this class the only world of linguistics I knew was a theoretical one with data being presented on a nice little platter for me to pick up and analyse with no thoughts or concerns as to how the data actually made its way to me in the first place, I thought it might make a nice change for me to personally go through the elicitation process. Plus, this way I didn't actually need to deal with the sand and dirt that generally goes hand in hand with field work, as I could get some experience in the field right here in our beloved intransient Transient Building.

Feeling I was involved in contributing to the linguistic community as a whole, I enjoyed the classes right from the start, though I quickly started to understand that there was a whole lot more to this data collecting business than I had accounted for. Never before had I considered the seemingly endless hours of tedious transcribing that accompany a field linguist's work, nor the challenge and time it takes to come up with elicitation techniques to ensure the data being gathered is actually the data being sought (whilst also making sure that the techniques did not have a soporific effect on the informant by being insanely insipid (hmm...nice alliteration there).

Although at first, I must confess, I felt I could possibly be one of the worst field linguists ever to have attempted to gather data on a previously unstudied language, over time, as the informant and I got used to each other and my elicitation style improved, our communication and understanding increased, and by about half way through the semester I realized that I was actually making real progress, uncovering grammatical patterns in what had seemed like a great tangled web of a language with no logic about it whatsoever. Breakthrough had begun and continued from there on in.

By the end of the semester, I found myself in a position I believe is common to many a field linguist out there - I was overjoyed at having made numerous discoveries about this intriguing language, but felt that there was so much more lying beneath the surface that was yet to be unearthed. And all that lay between me and these hidden gems was that my time had run out. My inaugural season as a field linguist was over.

All in all I enjoyed this new facet of the linguist's life, though am I ready to throw down my hat as a theoretical linguist and run into the field for the rest of my days? At this stage I would have to say probably not, but who knows what is just around the corner? And in the meantime, whenever I am analyzing data, I will stop for a moment and be thankful for the field linguist who went before me and made my studies possible.

Amy,
very nice post.
You've captured something about fieldwork that just makes the hard work worthwhile. It's a wonderful meeting of minds, that is so exciting. Certainly no-one becomes a field linguist because they want to get rich yet it's hard to think of a more enriching experience. However I'd hate to think that being a field linguist should preclude anyone from becoming a theoretical linguist or a typologist or any other kind of linguist. Quite the contrary. A theoretical linguist with field experience? I mean how solid a grounding is that? And it would make for richer theories too, I'll wager!

Amy,

PLEASE tell me the name and authors of your text for this course, so that I diligently might try to acquire it.

Language to me-- and to the "work" (in retirement) I do AT BEST means application-to-real-problems/field-work. The American penchant-- I suppose inspired by the Chomskyan turn in linguistics-- seems NOT to be in the direction of "the practical stuff." I consider myself ONLY a sociologist-of-language: if you do want to call me a "sociolinguist," you may-- but know that my training is all in other social sciences, and I am just interested in semiotics-- and have per-university-library here read deeply on these matters. Nevertheless, the same university (University of Louisville, Kentucky) seems NOT to be interested in applied linguistics. It was for this reason that your entry excited me so much-- and I do want to acquire the textbook for your course.
---Vernon Lynn Stephens, M.S.S.W.

The Transient Building, symbolising the impermanence of language, houses both the Linguistics Department at Sydney University and PARADISEC, a digital archive for endangered Pacific languages and music.

FAQ

Papua New Guinea FAQs from Eva Lindstrom Papua New Guinea (New Ireland): Eva Lindstrom's tips for fieldworkers

Australian Languages Answers to some frequently asked questions about Australian languages

Papua Web Information network on Papua, Indonesia (formerly Irian Jaya)

Hibernating blogs

Indigenous Language SPEAK

Langguj gel Australian linguistics and fieldwork blog

Interesting Blogs

Omniglot Writing systems and languages of the world

LingFormant Linguistics news

Language hat Linguistics news and commentary

Jabal al-Lughat Linguistics news and commentary on a range of languages

Living languages Blog with news items and discussion of endangered languages

OzPapersOnline Notices of recent work on the Indigenous languages of Australia

That Munanga linguist Community linguist blog

Anggarrgoon Claire Bowern's linguistics and fieldwork blog

Savage Minds A group blog on Anthropology

Fully (sic)

Language on the Move Intercultural communication and multilingualism

Talking Alaska: Reflections on the native languages of Alaska

Culture matters: applying anthropology Australian anthropology blog: postgraduates and staff

Long Road ethnography and anthropology blog - including about Australia

matjjin-nehen Blog on Australian linguistics, fieldwork, politics and the environment.

Language Log Group blog on language and linguistics

Links

E-MELD The E-MELD School of Best Practices in Digital Language Documentation

Tema Modersmål Website in Swedish with links to sites on and in many languages

Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project: Language Documentation: What is it? Information on equipment, formats, and archiving, and examples of documentation

Indigenous Peoples Issues & Resources a worldwide network of organizations, academics, activists, indigenous groups, and others representing indigenous and tribal peoples

Technorati Profile

Technology-enhanced language revitalization Include ILAT (Indigenous Languages and Technology) discussion list.

Endangered languages of Indigenous Peoples of Siberia

Koryak Net Information on the people of Kamchatka

Linguistic fieldwork preparation: a guide for field linguists syllabi, funding, technology, ethics, readings, bibliography

On-line resources for endangered languages

Papua New Guinea Language Resources Phonologies, grammars, dictionaries, literacy, language maps for many PNG languages

Resource network for linguistic diversity Networking practitioners working to record,retrieve & reintroduce endangered languages

Projects

ACLA child language acquisition in three Australian Aboriginal communities

DELAMAN The Digital Endangered Languages and Musics Archives Network

PARADISEC The Pacific And Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures

Murriny-Patha Song Project Documenting the language and music of public songs and dances composed and performed by Murriny Patha-speaking people

PFED The Project for Free Electronic Dictionaries

DOBES Endangered language documentation and archiving, funded by the Volkswagen Foundation and sponsored by the Max Planck Institute, Nijmegen.

DELP Documenting endangered languages at the University of Sydney

Ethno EResearch Exploring methods and technology for streaming media and interlinear text