« European Science Foundation and Endangered Languages - Peter Austin | Blog home | UNESCO's world day of audio-visual heritage »

[ From Peter K. Austin, Endangered Languages Academic Programme, SOAS]

We have a number of PhD students at SOAS who are working on languages spoken in the Pacific, including the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. In addition to the usual hazards of fieldwork like biting animals, malaria and other tropical diseases, and the occasional tsunami our students now have another thing to watch out for: Australian immigration officials. All of them have to stop over in Australia on their way to the field and if the recent experiences of one student (I’ll call him “AB” for convenience, mindful of the fact that he has to go through Sydney on his way back to London) are anything to go by, the apparent fear and paranoia that is present on entry to Australia is yet another fieldwork hassle.

The student concerned is of Greek descent, born in Romania and officially registered with a Romanian name (as required by that country, which, along with a number of others, demands that minorities take names that conform to the style of the majority population). The circumstances of his birth led to a problem when he got to Sydney.

To quote from his email that I received from the Solomons soon after his arrival there:

“I left London on Saturday 6th October and, after a 23-hour flight via Singapore, I arrived in Sydney the next day in the evening, local time. Here, a first unfortunate surprise, something quite impossible to predict and to be prepared for. The immigration officer was a Greek Australian and she decided that my name was not Greek enough for my Greek passport. So she called her superior and explained to her that I might represent a potential danger to Australia.

The reasoning was that, since my name was not Greek and I was born in Bucharest, I couldn’t possibly be a Greek, although I argued that I had my Greek citizenship by birth. I tried to explain that lots of Greeks had been born outside Greece, and the very immigration officer was an example (her name too was not Greek, but rather Italian), but she stubbornly insisted that one must be born in Greece in order to be a Greek citizen. This is the mentality they had 150 years ago, when the newly created Greek state was restricted to a sixth of today’s territory, and many Greeks were left on the outside. I thought that was history, but some people still think like that. They checked my passport over and over again and asked me a lot of stupid questions. During all this time I was guarded by a security officer, which made me feel like a prisoner.

They eventually came to the conclusion that my passport was not a fake but it still took me one hour to persuade them that I came in peace and that I was neither an Eastern European bandit nor an Iraqi terrorist (that is what the superior officer assumed, as she explained to me that many such outlaws can use Greek passports and have non-Greek names (!?)). They eventually let me in, but only after I showed them the recommendation letters that we had prepared for the Solomons and after I mentioned all the names of Australian academics that I could possibly remember. I was very tired and wasted my last resources in a stupid argument instead of going to bed early, and all because an idiot Greek officer happened to be there and she also happened to be as mean as the Greeks at home.”

Fortunately AB made it out of Australia in one piece, and:
“Surprisingly, and contrary to what happened in Australia, I had no problem whatsoever when I landed in Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands. They simply let me in and gave me a one-month tourist visa for free. Nobody asked anything more than the usual why are you here?, nobody checked my luggage, nobody was suspicious about my name.”

AB is now happily working on documenting a Solomons language, despite the friendly folks at Australian immigration.

Glad to hear that the people in Honiara are still friendly and welcoming. I taught school in Malaita from 1998-2000. I'm curious which language your student is working on.

He is working on Blablanga spoken on Santa Isabel.

The Transient Building, symbolising the impermanence of language, houses both the Linguistics Department at Sydney University and PARADISEC, a digital archive for endangered Pacific languages and music.

FAQ

Papua New Guinea FAQs from Eva Lindstrom Papua New Guinea (New Ireland): Eva Lindstrom's tips for fieldworkers

Australian Languages Answers to some frequently asked questions about Australian languages

Papua Web Information network on Papua, Indonesia (formerly Irian Jaya)

Hibernating blogs

Indigenous Language SPEAK

Langguj gel Australian linguistics and fieldwork blog

Interesting Blogs

Omniglot Writing systems and languages of the world

LingFormant Linguistics news

Language hat Linguistics news and commentary

Jabal al-Lughat Linguistics news and commentary on a range of languages

Living languages Blog with news items and discussion of endangered languages

OzPapersOnline Notices of recent work on the Indigenous languages of Australia

That Munanga linguist Community linguist blog

Anggarrgoon Claire Bowern's linguistics and fieldwork blog

Savage Minds A group blog on Anthropology

Fully (sic)

Language on the Move Intercultural communication and multilingualism

Talking Alaska: Reflections on the native languages of Alaska

Culture matters: applying anthropology Australian anthropology blog: postgraduates and staff

Long Road ethnography and anthropology blog - including about Australia

matjjin-nehen Blog on Australian linguistics, fieldwork, politics and the environment.

Language Log Group blog on language and linguistics

Links

E-MELD The E-MELD School of Best Practices in Digital Language Documentation

Tema Modersmål Website in Swedish with links to sites on and in many languages

Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project: Language Documentation: What is it? Information on equipment, formats, and archiving, and examples of documentation

Indigenous Peoples Issues & Resources a worldwide network of organizations, academics, activists, indigenous groups, and others representing indigenous and tribal peoples

Technorati Profile

Technology-enhanced language revitalization Include ILAT (Indigenous Languages and Technology) discussion list.

Endangered languages of Indigenous Peoples of Siberia

Koryak Net Information on the people of Kamchatka

Linguistic fieldwork preparation: a guide for field linguists syllabi, funding, technology, ethics, readings, bibliography

On-line resources for endangered languages

Papua New Guinea Language Resources Phonologies, grammars, dictionaries, literacy, language maps for many PNG languages

Resource network for linguistic diversity Networking practitioners working to record,retrieve & reintroduce endangered languages

Projects

ACLA child language acquisition in three Australian Aboriginal communities

DELAMAN The Digital Endangered Languages and Musics Archives Network

PARADISEC The Pacific And Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures

Murriny-Patha Song Project Documenting the language and music of public songs and dances composed and performed by Murriny Patha-speaking people

PFED The Project for Free Electronic Dictionaries

DOBES Endangered language documentation and archiving, funded by the Volkswagen Foundation and sponsored by the Max Planck Institute, Nijmegen.

DELP Documenting endangered languages at the University of Sydney

Ethno EResearch Exploring methods and technology for streaming media and interlinear text