« July Education Symposium on MOOCs on July 8th | Blog home | Janette Bobis awarded Thompson Fellowship »

Peter_Sloep.jpgLast year we had the pleasure of meeting another Peter, Peter B. Sloep from the Open University in the Netherlands. This week I came across his blog which lead me to his Scoop.it, via my twitter feed. I’m always on the lookout for interesting commentators and have worked hard to train my Zite feed to keep me in good reading. Whilst this has been informative it leaves me feeling like a consumer of information of varying degrees of quality.

In an attempt to find a way into conversations I have tentatively begun blogging and signed up with twitter. Together they provide me with a space in which to ‘say’ something, a soap box of sorts (WordPress) and a very useful message board (twitter) – but I have yet to learn how to harness them as tools for conversation. I thought this was my shortcoming. That was until I read 'A year of content curation' in which Peter describes the missing link, the ability to go beyond recycling, to add value:

“As a content curator I want to go beyond mere filtering and collecting, I want to explain why something is striking to me, to put it in the context of the Scoop.it topic on networked learning as a whole, and even to take an explicit stance on some issue or other. For academic topics such as mine voicing such an opinion probably adds much value.”

I highly recommend both his blog and his Scoop, not just for their content but for what we can learn from his example.