« Web statistics part three: Ways to view web stats | Blog home | Web statistics part four: date ranges »

Moving over to our refreshed brand at the beginning of last year was a massive exercise for the University, mainly because of our size but also because we produce so many materials that include our logo.

There is still a lot of work to do in building the momentum of the brand and ensuring that it is applied consistently across all our applications, which is why we’re continually reviewing the templates we make available and making changes to the Brand Style Guidelines website.

A lot of these changes are based on questions and feedback from staff, which come to me on a daily basis. Some are recurring questions, so I thought it would be useful to share a few of these with you, just in case you were wondering the same…

Q. I’ve opened the template file but I can’t edit the PDF. How do I edit the templates?
A. This usually means you don’t have the software required to open the template. Once you download InDesign you will be able to see and use the template files. Contact ICT to get a copy of InDesign.

Q. Do we have a template for luggage tags?
A. No. You could use the name badge template as a guide.

Q. Why aren’t there any templates for forms?
A. The University produces a lot of forms and unfortunately as they’ve been created over a long period of time there is no standard layout and style, which makes it difficult to create a template. As a start, think about putting the form online, or if you need to print it, use the business document templates as a guide to logo placement.

Q. Is the font used in the logo “Replica”?
A. No. The font in the logo is “Scala”. This font is not available for use and only appears in our logo.

Q. Do we have an annual report template?
A. No. There is no specific annual report template, however you could use the print brochure templates.

Q. How do I order stationery?
A. Order business cards, with compliments slips and large stocks of letterhead from the University Publishing Service. You can also download the Word templates from the guideline site.

Q. Do we have a template for conference posters?
A. I have had a LOT of questions about this. I’m pleased to say: yes we do! We’ve created some basic templates in PowerPoint that include the logo and some font styles for headings.

Examples of our research poster templates:

two examples of our brand poster templates

Q. Can I use the PowerPoint template for signage?
A. The PowerPoint template was not designed for signage, so it won’t be the most effective thing to use. Talk to your Local Brand Approver in the first instance, they might have already produced something for this.

In a lot of cases you probably don’t need to design anything. We assume our students will find rooms around the University, why do we create additional signage when we hold our own events?

Q. What is the University’s preferred spelling – American or British?
A. Our style is to use Australian English, which largely follows British convention – so “honour” and “colour” rather than “honor” and “color”, and “organise” rather than “organize”. Our style guide draws on a number of sources, principally the Macquarie Dictionary (staff and students can access this using their UniKey), the federal government’s Style Manual and the Cambridge Guide to Australian English Usage.

As the latter publication notes, program(me) is one area where Australian English diverges from British English, and both Macquarie and the government style guide prefer “program”.

Q. How do I get the templates in my faculty colour?

A. All of the sub-brand and brand extension templates use a placeholder colour. When you use the templates the colours should be adjusted to reflect your colour. Use the colour palette guide to do this.

Q. Can I provide the University logo to students to use on the cover page of their research thesis?
A. Yes, in particular cases. A staff member or Local Brand Approver needs to make the request on behalf of the student. Students can use the logo in the following instances:

• on honours and research theses after they have been examined and the degree awarded

• for conference presentations and posters where their supervisor is a co-author or where they have the support of their supervisor

• on promotional material for official University events.

Q. What templates do I use for cross-faculty events?
A. Unless the event involves faculties that share a colour (Medicine, Nursing and Dentistry), you will need to use masterbrand colours.

Q. My computer doesn’t have the all the fonts that are in the templates. What do I do?
A. The fonts are packaged within each of the template zip files.

The Brand and Marketing team offer training sessions on using the Brand Style Guidelines. For more details on training or to ask a question about our brand, please contact me by emailing Kerry.Capsanis@sydney.edu.au.