« Kids say the darndest things! | Blog home | Pre-semester anticipation »

If you're like me and you:

- are about to move to Sydney for Uni
- don't know anyone in Sydney
- don't know Coogee from Cronulla, and can't even find your way around the CBD...

then first things first, DON'T PANIC! Although it might seem a little redundant having a newbie write a guide for other newbies, let’s establish one thing: we interstate first years are of one breed and, at least during O-week, we’ve got to stick together...

For many of us, Sydney is the big smoke and the notion of packing up our lives and moving for uni can seem pretty daunting. For others, the fact that we're leaving still hasn't fully registered. I only realised I was leaving when I could count the days on my fingers... and now those days are rapidly disappearing. To add to this my glands are in overdrive producing adrenaline pangs with first-day-of-kindy intensity. I admit it, I'm scared... and the more I think about leaving the scarier the thought gets.

I don't know what's worse: the prospect of leaving home or the very real danger that I will now miss every episode of Deal or No Deal until the Easter holidays. Ok, so I'm kidding, but it's still a serious thing I'm talking about. What will happen to all our old routines? What about all the people we are leaving behind? What, perhaps most importantly, will happen to us?

I have it from first-hand sources that the good news is you survive... at least most of the time. For most people the beginning of uni is a scary thing, regardless of whether you're moving interstate or not, and regardless of whether you know anyone at your new uni or not. So what can be concluded from this? Nothing and everything, depending on how you approach it. Ultimately you will deal with the issues of leaving home and starting uni in your own way, but one thing you can count on is that there are going to be a lot of people in the same situation, and they'll be an invaluable support.

So go! Shoo! Enjoy O-week and when times are tough remember you're not alone!

Oh, Alex...you are spot-on, buddy! It is a really big leap for anyone to come to uni, so I take my hat off to those who come from a completely different state!

Welcome to the blog - I'll look forward to reading about your adventures in Sydney!

Lauren