« It's not all white faces and mime you know! | Main | Channeling Susan Meyer... »

Another aspect of leaving school everyone seems to forget to mention - sport. It's harder, faster and the opposition is a-hell-of alot bigger! Not to mention that it's now four days later and I'm still really sore.

Then there are those guys who are just simply crazy and seem to have endless energy and never get drilled or tire.

After the majority of the team meet we head out to the game.

Our field is pretty much a local park; uneven, no lines and no posts. Our team doesn't have jerseys or a ball, but we do have an opposition.

This being a trial game everyone gets a good run so the coach can see us play. First scrum I'm in, someone call "meyday". (For those non-footballers that means there's a serious problem and the scrum should stop.) Does the ref do anything? NO.

Being the first game of the season fitness on both teams is non-existant so the game rapidly becomes very scrappy. Hands in rucks, shoulder charges, high tackles, sheperds... virtually everything you don't want in a game.

Then there's the usual team crazy guy.

Example one: it's towards the end of the game so both sides are pretty dead. A ruck forms and I'm running towards it, about to connect, when out of absolutely nowhere this guy comes flying up behind me and single handedly removes everyone but me and him from the ruck!!!

Compared to schoolboy footy this is lightning fast. When a tackle is made, the opposition are instantly all over the ball. The toll it takes on the body is also unbelieveable. I'm not sure how the pros do it but we played on Saturday and I'm still sore all over. Not to mention the ruck mark that went halfway up my neck. and the internal wounds from constantly being at the bottom of collapsed mauls and rucks.

So basically club footy is very very different to school footy. It seems obvious but I didn't expect it.

Hopefully my body will be better by tomorrow!

yeah but think of all the chicks youll pull!

Its good to hear that your still sore Jack, I like to know that the opposition is a little soft! Hehehe. All you new Bloggers are super good, keep up the tops work. Hope all of you out in Blog land are charging ahead this week too!