« The right to be heard | Main | How to Raise a Thesis »

Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 2.47.40 PM.png

In the world of politics, Sydney wouldn’t seem to stand out among such cities as London, Cairo and my hometown of Washington, D.C. My friends and family were surprised when I revealed my decision to become an American exchange student at the University of Sydney, but just a few weeks into my time here, I'm confident that I made a wise choice.

As a political science major concentrating in public policy, I'm fascinated by the Australian political system. Issues that have all but been abandoned by the U.S. Congress, such as aboriginal rights and climate change, are front-and-center in the political discussion here. Studying subjects as diverse as Australian environmental history and comparative politics of ethnic conflict was an attractive factor, but what sealed the deal in my decision was obtaining an internship at GetUp!—a progressive political advocacy organization based in Sydney.

The opportunity to learn first-hand about many of the issues I study in the classroom was irresistible, and as I’ve learned back at my alma mater of George Washington University, it’s without a doubt the best opportunity to master the art of networking—developing professional relationships that will help me after my studies.

As I dive headfirst into what will ultimately be a six-month journey into Australian academic life, parties, politics and travel, I’m thrilled to have been provided this platform to share my experiences. Feel free to follow my personal blog, Dispatches from Down Under, and my Twitter account as well.

Cheers!

I need to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every
little bit of it. I've got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…