« Surviving the HSC | Blog home | Human rights violations: simulating for solutions »

Wills2.jpg

So I’m here. I’ve been here for seventeen days.

Exchange is amazing.

Bristol is a a tiny city. Well, of course it would seem so, coming from Sydney. It’s everything that I could have wanted. There is a magnificent cathedral within 2 minutes walk and the University of Bristol wouldn’t look out of place on the set of a Harry Potter film. The roads are small and windy and the number of BMWs, Audis, Mercedes are about ten fold from back home. Milk is sold in pints and road signs are in miles. There is the perfect amount of drizzle in the air - enough to keep you cool, but not so much that it’s annoying. I am yet to meet someone I don’t like.

My flatmates (seven of them) are some of the friendliest people anyone could meet. There are two medical students, two politics students, a geoscientist and an engineer. They are from all parts of England - from Northumberland to right here in Bristol.

I study health sciences back home, but here I’m taking electives and studying medieval history. This, whilst being a challenge, has been an amazing decision. I’m not used to the language in the readings, or the style of the tutorials (or seminars, as they are called here) - but I expected this. Throwing a science student into an arts unit was always going to see a few glitches. I’ve been studying things for pure interest, rather than for a degree - makes it a lot easier to get work done.

I’ll get back to you with my adventures as they happen!

Hi! I am currently a student at Bristol Univerisity and am in the process of applying to Sydney to do a year studying abroad! It would be great to get in contact with you to have an insight as to what Sydney is like in comparison to Bristol or just a chat about studying abroad in general :)

I think you have the right idea, to take electives at Bristol to study things for pure interest that way it is not so stressful and you can have more fun. Study health science back home.