« Surviving STUVAC | Blog home | 150 seconds (and a few years of study) for $5000 »

Philip Chan-14 - Rect Large.jpg

Journalist. Politician. Lawyer. As professions go, these are some of the least trusted and most hated of all in society – and I happen to study all three! So why pick these subjects, and why study a combined degree?

I am in my second-last year of combined degrees in Arts (Media)/Law, majoring in Government and International Relations. I didn’t choose my degrees because I love being loathed. Instead, my selection was based on two factors: what I enjoyed and what I was good at.

Combining Passions with Strengths

During high school, I really liked and performed well in writing and multimedia production, which is why I chose to study a Bachelor of Arts (Media & Communications). Journalism is an art form, where words, images and sounds are crafted to tell stories in an engaging and informative manner. With my natural curiosity, I love telling stories that need to be told, the stories that readers deserve to know. I believe that the pen is mightier than the sword and that journalism is a potent agent for social change, providing a voice to the voiceless.

I chose to combine my media degree with a Bachelor of Laws not because I was hooked on legal dramas, but because I am very passionate about social justice. As my school's Student Representative Council leader, I was actively involved in charity work and fundraising, which fostered this passion.

I aspire to be a human rights lawyer and journalist, pursuing justice for society’s most vulnerable and needy, and generating awareness amongst the community. My dream is to work for the United Nations or a similar organisation, alleviating extreme poverty and advocating against modern-day slavery.

How to Choose a Degree, or Two!

If you’re thinking about what degree to choose, ask yourself:
1. What are your passions and interests?
2. What are you good at?
3. Which careers match your personality type?

Chat to your parents, teachers and family friends about the careers you’re interested in. Do some research on Google and gain some work experience or volunteering. Knowing what you don’t want to do is just as helpful as knowing what you want to do.

Stereotypes are meant to be defied and for me, I hope to use my degrees to make a positive difference in our world. These days, there is no set career path. Your degree can open up a world of opportunities and even careers that don’t exist yet!

________________________________________

Thinking about joining us at Sydney? Start here!